Meet your favorite Asian chicken dish, recreated in your own kitchen with ingredients your body and taste buds will surely approve of! This honey sesame chicken is the ultimate comfort food. It’s perfectly sweet yet tangy. I like to enjoy it with some coconut lime rice and roasted broccoli. Feels just like your favorite takeout – but Cleverly Nourished style.
- Chicken: Chicken is an excellent source of lean protein. In fact, there are about 30-40 grams of protein in just one chicken breast. Each person’s recommended dietary intake of protein differs based on your weight, gender, and activity levels but for reference, the average sedentary woman needs about 40 grams of protein per day. One serving of this honey sesame chicken nearly gets you to that daily protein goal!
- Sesame: Like other seeds, sesame seeds have a host of health benefits. They’re a great source of fiber, may help lower cholesterol, rich in antioxidants, and help reduce inflammation. Other than this honey sesame chicken, another great way to include sesame seeds in your diet is to make a dressing for salads with some tahini (made of sesame seeds!) and lemon. Sesame seeds are also found in your favorite hummus!
Tips from Chef Michaela
This recipe works great using an oven proof skillet or cast iron skillet. If you don’t have an oven proof skillet, feel free to transfer the chicken to a baking dish after you’ve browned it and added the sauce. It will still turn out delicious!
Honey Sesame Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts cubed into 1" cubes
- ½ cup arrowroot powder
- 2 eggs beaten
- salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp garlic minced
- ½ tbsp arrowroot powder
- sesame seeds
- green onions sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Dredge the chicken in the arrow root and lightly toss to coat
- Transfer to the egg mixture and gently toss until covered
- In a large oven proof skillet, heat the avocado oil. Add the chicken and brown on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, mix the sauce ingredients together.
- Once the chicken is crispy on all sides pour the sauce into the pan and stir to coat.
- Transfer to the oven. Bake for 15 minutes then stir. Repeat this step twice more (~45 minutes total) until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is coated in the sauce and tender.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion! Serve with your favorite rice and veggie and enjoy!