Lox and Bagels has always been a family favorite. It’s so fun for each person to build their bagel to their liking. Whether you like tomatoes, capers, red onion, or cream cheese, it seems there’s a topping choice for everyone.
I also love that you can easily make this breakfast or brunch gluten free and dairy free. One of my favorite dairy free options for cream cheese is from the brand Miyoko Creamery, which is made from cashews. For a gluten-free bread option, I love using Bread SRSLY gluten-free sourdough. When that bread is toasted, you wouldn’t even guess it’s gluten-free!
Smoked Salmon: Like fresh salmon, it’s a good source of protein, B vitamins, vitamin D, magnesium and selenium. Smoked salmon also contains plenty of DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), omega-3 fatty acids linked to a lower risk of heart disease, macular degeneration and Alzheimer’s disease.
Tips from Chef Michaela
Variety is key when putting together an impressive lox and bagels board. I like to include a little bit of everything. Traditional lox and bagels is served with capers, red onion, tomatoes, and cream cheese. However, if some people in your crowd can’t stand capers, they don’t have to use them.
I also recommend thinly slicing the tomatoes and onions so you can easily layer on all the toppings. Try using a serrated knife to cut your tomatoes, similar to a bread knife!
Lox & Bagels
- Everything bagels or gluten-free bagels or bread
- 1 package cream cheese or dairy free cream cheese
- 1 jar capers
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 large heirloom tomato (or tomato of choice) thinly sliced
- 1 package wild caught smoked salmon (lox)
- Sprinkle Everything Bagel seasoning or pepper for garnish
- I like to assemble all the topping ingredients on a single board or plate, so everyone can build their own lox.
- Scatter the cream cheese, lox, capers, red onion, and tomato to make a pretty presentation.
- Toast your bagel or bread of choice prior to serving.
- To assemble the lox and bagel, first top with cream cheese, then add the capers, red onion, and tomatoes. Then layer on your lox and garnish with pepper or Everything Bagel seasoning. Enjoy!