These Jerk Chicken Skewers are a favorite of my clients! They are bursting with flavor and the perfect summer item. Simply, add the marinade ingredients in a food processor, tenderize and skewer the chicken (or not!), marinate, and grill! If you don’t have a grill you can easily marinate the skewers in a baking dish and then bake them in the same dish for easy clean up. If you like spicy add 1-2 Habanero, for a mild version add a jalapeño or no peppers at all and it will still be delish!
One thing I love to do with marinades is save the marinade after removing the meat and then bring it to a boil to kill any bacteria that may be present from the raw meat. THEN, you have a delicious sauce and you’re not throwing out all that flavor!
I love to enjoy these with a Honey Lime Mango Salad or something light since they have tons of flavor! I hope you enjoy and please feel free to reach out with any questions! Happy Summer Eating!
- Bamboo Skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 habanero Pepper
- 2 bunches green onions roots removed and cut into 3rds
- 1 2" piece fresh ginger skin removed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 3 T coconut aminos
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 T avocado oil
- 2 T coconut sugar
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breast
- Soak Bamboo Skewers completely covered in warm water.
- Combine all of the ingredients besides the chicken in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Taste and adjust salt as necessary.
- Place chicken into gallon zip lock bags in a single layer and seal, removing as much air as possible. Pounded with a meat tenderizer to ½” thick, then remove from the bags and slice lengthwise into ½” strips.
- Thread the meat onto the skewers and arrange in a baking dish then pour the marinade over the chicken and using tongs make sure each side of the skewers in exposed to the marinade, marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill to medium high or oven to 375F. After marinating chicken can be placed into the oven in the marinade OR removed from the marinade and placed on the grill, marinade reserved and placed into a sauce pan to be heated to a simmer to be brushed on after cooking.
- Cook chicken through until completely opaque or 165F internal temperature. Enjoy!